Preparing for the NCLEX
If you are, you are undoubtedly thinking about the NCLEX examination. It is the most comprehensive examination that you probably have taken so far in your life and determines your future in this profession.
Below are some effective tips to help prepare you for the NCLEX:
NCLEX Exam Prep
- Study – This may seem like a no-brainer, but after graduation, you may just want to relax, go on vacation and reward yourself. However it’s important to remember that the work isn’t over until you pass your NCLEX exam. Some graduates believe that completing nursing school is enough preparation for a passing grade, however that may not be the case. It has been recommended that preparation for this exam should include at least 1,000 practice questions.
- Take a Review Course – Similar to SAT prep courses, there are NCLEX review courses that are offered both in-class and online. You can also pick up an NCLEX review book at a bookstore.
NCLEX Exam Day
- Be Prepared – Make sure you have all the items you may need. For instance you may be required to provide a valid ID upon arriving to your testing room.
- Dress Comfortably – Keep in mind that this is a long test, and you’ll want to be as comfortable as possible. Any extra clothing such as scarves, and coats will be required to be left outside of the testing room.
- Set Your Pace – For the RN exam, you are given 6 hours to complete it. Make sure you read each question carefully, and pace yourself with the time it takes to answer. Once an answer is chosen, you will not be able to return to that question.
If you keep focused on the end goal, and continue to work hard, you’ll be in great shape when it comes to the NCLEX exam.