Legal Nursing Job Description
Legal Nursing consultants are registered Nurses who use their expertise as health care providers in order to consult on medical-related legal cases. Legal Nurses assist lawyers in reading and understanding medical records and medical terminology in order to help achieve the best results for their clients.
Some of the duties of a Legal Nurse include:
- Reviewing cases
- Interpreting medical records and translating medical/Nursing terms
- Writing comprehensive reports
- Develop illustrations and timelines for evidence
- Secure expert witnesses
- Educate and assist the attorney in all facets
- Prepare for deposition and trials
- Assist witnesses and experts for deposition and trial
The amount of time it takes to complete a case varies greatly. Legal Nurses can also work from home. Legal Nurses also often work for government agencies, insurance companies, HMOS, in hospitals, and much more.
Aside from traditional Nursing education of a Bachelors or Associates degree, many training courses and certifications are available for Legal Nursing consultants. The American Legal Nurse Consultant Certification Board offers online examinations, which is the only Legal Nurse consultant certification that is credited by the American Board of Nursing Specialties.