Community Involvement Day – Join us for Mini Clinics & Pet Adoption Day – April 11th from 9am-1pm 

National Registry Of Emergency Medical Technicians

National Registry Of Emergency Medical Technicians

 The National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, also known as NREMT, is an exam that recognizes the three different levels of EMT. Those levels are Basic, Intermediate, and Paramedic. Many states require this test for state certification, though it is likely not required for renewals. Some states require their own testing.

How The NREMT Works

This cognitive EMT exam is part of a process that takes roughly one year from start to finish. They measure the important areas of pre-hospital care. The NREMT sends out surveys to individuals who work in the field to find out which aspects of the field they find to be the most important. These items are then taken into account when updating the NREMT.

About 15% of the exam is related to pediatrics while the remaining 85% is related to adults.

Scoring For The NREMT

The NREMT has been updated to computer from its original paper and pencil format. The test utilizes Computer Adaptive Testing which allows for each exam to be tailored to individual candidates.

This state-of-the-art technology also allows for Item Response Theory which measures an individual’s ability to answer a question correctly in correlation with the difficulty level of the question. This translates to each question being given a weighted point value. The harder the question, the higher the point value.

Studying For The NREMT

This exam is based on everything you studied on your quest to become an EMT. You should know the basics such as CPR and everything that goes along with it. Be sure to look over your learning materials and know general concepts of what you have learned.

There are also some study guides and practice exams available if you feel more comfortable being better acquainted with the exam. 


Accrediting Commission of Careers Schools and Colleges ACCSC logo Career Source Palmbeach County logo Commision for Independent EDU log FDOE logo NHA logo FAPSC logo National League for Nursing logo Library and Information Resources Network logo Statewide Course Numbering System logo logo Career Source Broward County logo