Education For Firefighters
If you are looking to become a firefighter, but aren’t sure what type of education you should receive, you have come to the right place. A high school diploma or the equivalent will suffice, but it is beneficial to receive a formal education for future promotions.
Health Career Institute in West Palm Beach Florida offers an associate’s degree in Fire Science. This will prepare you for positions such as fire chief and fire inspector. While you may not be sure if that is the direction you wish to go, furthering your education will never work against your career.
Core Courses For The HCI Fire Science Program
There are 12 core courses for the Fire Science program. They are as follows:
- Fire Prevention Practices
- Private Fire Protection Systems I
- Fire Service Course Delivery
- Building Construction For The Fire Service
- Company Officer
- Fire Codes & Standards
- Fire Fighting Tactics & Strategy I
- Fire Fighting Tactics & Strategy II
- Fire Investigation Origin & Cause
- Construction Documents & Plans Review
- Fire Service Course Design
- Fire Service Microcomputer Applications
These courses total 36 of the 60 credits that you will need to graduate with a degree in Fire Science.
General Education Courses For The HCI Fire Science Program
You will need 15 credits of general education courses for this program. The required courses are as follows:
- English Composition I
- English Composition II
- Liberal Arts Mathematics or Intermediate Algebra
- General Psychology
- History of the USA: A Survey to 1877
Elective Courses For The HCI Fire Science Program
Health Career Institute requires that you choose three elective courses totaling nine credits. Your options are listed below.
- Basic ICS
- Intermediate ICS
- Ethical & Legal Issues For The Fire Service
- Fire Department Administration
- Fire Hydraulics
- Fire Apparatus & Equipment
- Fire Chemistry
- Fire Investigation & Arson
- Hazardous Materials I
- Hazardous Materials II
- Hazardous Materials III
- Latent Investigation
- Private Fire Protection Systems II
- Public Information Officer
Once you have completed and passed all of these courses, you will be able to graduate from HCI with an associate’s degree in Fire Science.
If you have any questions regarding the Fire Science program or any other program HCI offers, please do not hesitate to contact us here.